<VV> Front Wheel Bearings

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 18:09:27 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/3/2009 2:37:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,  gier.1 at osu.edu
writes:

So I  started to tighten the nut with my torque wrench but the brake drum got
real  hard to turn before I even came close to 100 ft. lbs. So what is the
proper  way to tighten the adjusting nut?? I'm going to adjust the steering box
next  because there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. Thanks for any
help.

Nick
65 Monza
63 Spyder

Nick - Tip Number 1

Before you drive very far on that bearing, I suggest you pull the dust  cap,
the nut/washer and outer bearing rollers. Slide your finger back and forth  on
the contact face of the outer bearing hub race - the part that is  pressed
into the hub. If you can feel any displacement of material, (you are  looking
for damage from the pressed down rollers), then you should go ahead and  obtain
new inner and outer bearings for that hub, along with new seals. If you  can't
feel anything on the roller bearing surface, you may have dodged a bullet.
(You should still pick up a spare set-up, eventually you will need it.)

PS - They do make inch lb. torque wrenches.

Tip Number 2

Before doing any adjustment on the steering box, thoroughly read - and
re-read - the section on adjustments and torque adjustments. The procedure  must be
followed exactly as described in order to remove the play, but  allow proper
movement inside the box. Little bits of adjustments mean a  lot.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette