<VV> Exhaust Extraction Cooling

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Jan 1 21:02:23 EST 2009

Scotty:  I first became aware of exhaust extraction cooling while reading
PORSCHE: Excellence Was Expected by Karl Ludvigsen.  My local library got it
for me thru the inter-library loan process.  Had to be in the late 70's
early 80's.  Porsche made it work on one of their pre-550 race cars, but it
was very noisy.  Prohibitedly so.  (BTW a new update of third edition of
P:EWE is now on the market.  While I like Porsche race cars, don't much care
about their street cars.  Could not afford either of them then, and choose
not to afford either today.)

At some point in my career at Caterpillar I did some poking around in the
Technical Library and found out exhaust extraction has been used on ships to
remove air from engine rooms.  Noise for the poor souls in the engine room
was an issue in that application also.

Also at some point I asked somebody, probably Jim Schardt, (as I met him in
the mid-70's) about exhaust extraction cooling on Corvair race cars.  I
believe he told me a fellow Corvair racer from central Ohio named (I think)
Mark SanGeorge was or had built such a system.  Don't know if the car ever
ran with it or not, or what the results were if it did.  Anyhow. I got some
pictures of the set-up buried someplace in my files, and no I'm not going to
try and find them.  What I think I remember is he built lower shrouds which
begin near the oil pan and form around the exhaust header and attach under
the valve covers while also forming into a large venturi tube with the
exhaust pipe in the center, poking out the back.  If I remember correctly
from the tech stuff I got from the Cat library, the size and length of big
venturi tube visa-vie the end of the engine exhaust was very critical to
functionality, with the exhaust pipe shorter and inside the venturi tube.

The set up in the photos look to me like something just asking to get banged
up or ripped off a low slung race car.  Maybe just trying to get the car on
a trailer!

My belief is that since no racer has made it work, even without any noise
concerns/restrictions at race tracks, the idea, while interesting and noble,
is DOA.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 9