<VV> winter driving, was: Corsa Dues Increase

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 11:59:46 EST 2009

Whiner! You guys from down south/out west are spoiled rotten, and don't
even know it. Around here, if you tried to drive a Corvair (or ANY car
older than the '90's) you'd find yourself driving a rusted heap within 5
years. Take it from me, Corvairs put me thru most of 15 winters, and many
of those had nonexistant floorboards, flapping fenders, and dash leaks that
made the windshield irrelevant. I've even had cars (even FC's) literally
break in half from rust. And some of those I had even been daily-driving at
the time. Ever see an FC frame break in 5 places, and the floor collapse in
on itself?

Today, ALL cars worth keeping hibernate from first frost to last.
Otherwise, our salt-paving crews (and that is no exageration), who make new
blacktop indistinguishable from white concrete and (visually) obliterate
the yellow centerline, will make your car literally rust to pieces. I've
seen cars so coated with salt that they look like they were spray painted
with stucco.

Around here, Corvairs (as with any other '60's cars) are either collector
cars, or scrap metal. There is no in-between. Yea, you sunbelt guys are
spoiled rotten. I have no sympathy for you.

-Mark (deep in the saltbelt midwest)