<VV> Rules of the Road

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Dec 22 13:10:01 EST 2009

Jay:  First and foremost, I fully appreciate your family and work situation.
They have to come first.  Always.  I applaud your awareness and commitment
to both of them.  Both of our daughters, with their husbands, are self
employed.  They are scratching and clawing to keep family and income above
sea level.  They don't have time or money for much besides family and
church.  No toy cars, or toy anything.

Second, "put up or shut up" is most definitely not rules of the road.  Not
for you or anybody.  Please pass on any ideas to VV, as there is suppose to
be someone on the BoD logging them. But the problem is, while ideas are
wonderful, without someone to follow thru and implement them, they merely
collect dust: nothing gets improved, nothing gets changed, nothing happens.

What you sense as my weariness is actually me trying to push, pull or
otherwise drag yelling and screaming people to put their energy into doing
something useful for the cause and club they care about.

I understand the "those that can, do" concept.  (The other side of that coin
is: "Those who can't, write about it!"  Guilty.)  But my experience in
volunteer organizations, which is mostly CORSA and church, is that there are
way more people who can than actually do.  These are people with the time,
experience (and yes sometimes funds) to make a difference in their
organization of choice, if they would only stick their hand up and say, "I'm
willing to try" or "I think I can do that".  Maybe my mother read the little
train story with the recurring line "I think I can, I think I can, I think"
to many times to me.

Hence my recurring admonition - or maybe it is nagging - to all CORSA
members on to VV sign up for whatever the task.  Stick your hand up.  CORSA
will not, indeed can not, continue without people sticking their hands up.
Not possible.  The CORSA we know today, from the founders, charter members
and all who have followed, were all people who simply stuck they hand up and
said "I think I can.  I will try."

That's what I've done.  In late summer of 1979, when I first asked the late
Herb Burkman about becoming the Chairman of the Competition Committee, my
motivation was something on the order of "well, I can do it better than the
nothing which is being done now."  I was 34,  two kids and a job at
Caterpillar I was under qualified for at the time.  But I reached at work
and reached with the competition committee and reached again when I ran for
the combined BoDs.  Done other stuff I never dreamt of doing 40 years ago,
simply because I stuck my hand up.  Sometimes got it slapped, but usually
got it grabbed and pulled into whatever the need was.

The world is dying while people sit on their hands, instead of extending
them in some way to some need.  CORSA will die unless young people like
yourself people put their hands up and try.

I see you have volunteer to work on the Communique scanning project.  Good
going.  If your group needs some back issues, I have all the Communoque's
from the mid-70's and a whatever was available back them in back issues.
Let me know.  I might take me a week to find some of them, but if I have
them and you guys need them, you know where to find me.

So for now, I'll get off my soap box.  We'll see who puts their hand up to
serve on the CORSA/CPF BoD.  After the February or March Communique, maybe
we all can talk again on the subject.

Best wishes to you and your family Jay.  And to all the others on VV.

Historically Yours,
			James

Message: 10