<VV> Fwd: Playing nice

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 15:05:48 EST 2009

____________________________________
 From: airvair at earthlink.net
To: jvhroberts at aol.com, mvjacobi at comcast.net,  virtualvairs at corvair.org
Sent: 12/7/2009 8:49:04 A.M. Pacific Standard  Time
Subj: Re: <VV> Playing nice

BTW, did you know where the term "ragtop" came from? It  originated from
early turn-of-the-century convertibles, which had cloth  tops on them. As
they aged, the tops deteriorated into nothing but rags.  Hence the term
refers to a rather clapped-out convertible. A bit of a  putdown, by anyone's
standards. LOL

-Mark

Convertibles were made with natural (rather than synthetic) cloth tops for
far later than the early 1900's.  My first car was a 1948 Lincoln Zephyr
convertible, (bought in January 1954 from the grandfather of the original
owner,  who didn't come back from Korea) and it had a factory cloth top, which
was plain  canvas.  It held up fairly well in the Detroit weather for as
long as I had  it, but was sold to a L-M dealer in Ecorse for his showroom
advertising.   For all I know, it's still there, but the top wasn't exposed to
the weather so  it should have help up well.  I only hope that the sheet
metal has endured  the Detroit-area salt.

Scotty from Hollyweird

.