<VV> Timing, was: CORSA CONVENTION / FLORIDA HEAT

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Mon Oct 20 18:43:15 EDT 2008

airvair at earthlink.net wrote:
> Personally the later in the summer the better for me.
So Lon says -
         And so it goes...........What will generally never be admitted
to is that there are good and bad times for everyone - and they may be
different. People without kids, who hate hot, humid weather (me and
Linda) are always going to be against summer conventions. When we were
indoor vendors (that means air conditioning and air conditioned travel
as well) the time and locale was not a usual issue for us - until we
walked outside!

        If the convention does not make it convenient for kids to attend
(those things usually owned by 40 and under people) then we will deter
younger members from participating. But, as will be mentioned many
times, many of the current attendees don't think that's important. And
here is the problem.

        Are Corsa International conventions to be oriented towards
older, well monied members? Before you laugh, keep in mind that the
power base in the club is overwhelmingly over 40, and attendance at the
later Internationals requires an increasing financial commitment.

        After 3 years on the board and 35 years in this market I have
learned a great deal. I've also attended well over 130 Corvair
conventions and meets including nearly 25 Internationals. I've watched
it all change - and change again. The changes and challenges we
currently face are the most extreme I have so far seen.

        If we can agree that we want to continue to attract new members
and we want to continue to have viable Internationals then we are going
to have to make some radical (and wise) changes. Considering that so
much of what we do seems to have been "set in stone" this may be very
difficult.

        If you doubt that , look at the bad reviews from some quarters
about the Ventura convention - yet, most of the strongest complaints
were centered around and came from members who didn't like the changes
from the "usual" type of venue. Yet, despite the poor attendance (for
factors all beyond the control of Murray and his crew), I was told that
Corsa might not lose money on it!  Don't forget this important point.
(Linda and I enjoyed Ventura, by the way, and appreciated all the usual
effort put for to see it happen)

        And what about the wails from some members about this year's
Palm Springs switch? I don't know if it's a good idea or not (how could
I - or you?) but I applaud Corsa West for at least being willing to try
something different (in an "off" year for the event). It's no secret
that the attendance has been steadily dropping off for Palm Springs. For
the event to survive as anything other than a nostalgic corpse will
require bold, new ideas. How is this going to happen if the critics are
too loud?

        Lon