<VV> on the road

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 10:59:52 EDT 2008

Hey guys:

My neighbor came over last night and helped me bleed the brakes. I did not hesitate to inaugurate my new concrete driveway with an inaugural drive in my 69 convertible. I made it around the block twice. My first "real" solo drive in a Corvair! awesome.
Now that it "runs and drives", it stops really good too, I ended up bleeding all four lines, and evacuated all of the ugly looking brake fluid in the master cylinder.

So, I cheated a little, I left the front sway bar off because I didn't think it would hurt anything, I'll have to get that back on now though, I hope that was an okay thing to do.
 have carb issues, and read the Corvair Basics carb section, that was a lot to digest. Let it be known to all CORSA members, that the idea behind Corvair Basics was well worth the effort, and is going to good use for this new owner (thanks Bob). Still trying to get my arms around the whole concept around carb's in general and how to tweak things, I'll get there somehow.

If I have a tach, I recall that if I were to connect it the distributor +/- I can check too see what RPM's I am turning at idle, I think I am too low right now. What is the recommended idle RPM for a 110/pg? And while I drove it around the block, I laid into a full acceleration, and, well, nothing happened ( lol ). Also, the left choke does not seem to release, not sure what that is from though.

I have a transmission issue(s), not sure what that is about yet either, when I shift into drive or reverse, it seems not to engage until I rev it up a little. I also noticed that when I have the car stationary and rev it a little, in neutral, no parking brake applied, the car moves forward ever so slightly.
Have some knocks, typical lifter noise, nothing sounds terminal, including the tranny (it was pretty smooth driving) plan to change the oil later next week to take car of that gas in the crankcase issue.
Any thoughts, comments, on any of these issues would be appreciated. So far, you all have great batting averages on troubleshooting issues on this car.
thanks again,
chris mann