<VV> White Gas - no vair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat May 3 08:03:52 EDT 2008

I'm no gasoline expert, but here is how I understand it. (Someone more
informed please feel free to correct any misconceptions I might have
here...)

It was higher octane unleaded fuel... had been around since the very
early days and was one of the  few not using lead. (I think they used
phosphorus rather than lead as the anti-knock, valve lubricating
product?). It was called "white gas" because no other gasoline around at
the time was clear. However, it differed from Coleman fuel which is
refined down further to being just Naptha (petroleum ether, benzine)
which has far less impurities and is far less volatile. (Naptha is also
primarily a solvent... but is considered a low flash solvent which means
it can ignite at low temps.)

The product most of us know as "white gas" was introduced in 1970; the
first modern high octane unleaded fuel.     It was the only readily
available high octane unleaded fuel around at the time and the only
clear one.  So Amoco used (and still uses) this feature for marketing as
a way to differentiate its super premium product. Plus, you knew what
you were getting (fraudulent substitutions of regular gasoline for
premium once being common....)

The modern stuff is very different (using a high concentration of
Toluene) but still is more refined with much lower Alkanes.

My family used Amoco Premium and Coleman fuel interchangeably as well,
but Amoco Premium was just as dangerous from an explosive angle as any
other gasoline and except for the lead content, every bit as bad for
you. Certainly no safer for cleaning than any other unleaded fuel.

Bill