<VV> More info from Australia - Almost no Corvair at all!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Mar 14 08:48:17 EDT 2008

First day at Formula 1 in Melbourne, Australia. Wear ear plugs! F1 cars are
loud! Oh and 102 degrees will cook you in the stands! Shade or not! We watched
the F1cars in practice and a V8 Supercar race. In our exploration of the
Albert Park site we found a company that converts US cars for Australian use. Cars
newer than 30 years are required to be converted for Australian use, fully
right hand drive. Older cars can be validated for brakes and lights, (Lights
dropping to the left, rather than the right) but without conversion to RHD - So,
Corvairs can be imported. The owner of the company showed us a converted new
Corvette. I sat in the car’s right hand seat with all the drivers equipment
handy. Really strange. PS – They get $59,995(AUS) to do the conversion. Beyond the
price of the car. Ouch! I took several photos. And a word about the real
Australian cars. Folks – GM and Ford are screwing us out of some great cars! I’m
sure they could explain their reasons but lots of good cars are being held out
of the US. Some US nameplates move here after dying in the US. There are new
Luminas and Caprices around. The Holdens are pretty nice cars, and even the
Ford sedans are gorgeous. And we celebrated Barbara’s birthday this evening.
Tomorrow is F1 qualifying. – Seth Emerson