<VV> Dripping carb at idle

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 27 11:42:40 EDT 2008

My friend Chris from NTCA was right on the mark. I started the car
and the left side, which was idling roughly yesterday, was working
fine today!! The right side, which was working fine yesterday, was
exhibiting the same characteristics as the the left one from
yesterday. When I looked into the carb inlet, sure enough, the left
was fine and the right was dripping gas. He suggested that if it
exhibited this symptom that "... you have either too high a float,
sunk float or needle and seat not sealing on the left carb."  What do
I need to do to correct this problem and what parts should I order to
be prepared for diving into it?  These are the carbs that I purchased
from a well known Corvair carb repairman four years ago that sat for
three of those years. They have run well for the last 3K miles, but
now are experiencing the current problems. The problems seemed to
have started after a hard braking incident. It ran rough, the next
day it was back to normal. Now, after using the car on the weekends
for a month or so, the problem has raised its ugly little head again.

Stephen Upham