<VV> Jet Coatings

Jack Kean jkean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 2 21:21:41 EDT 2008

ScottyGrover at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/2/2008 4:53:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> robovair at sbcglobal.net writes:
>
> What has  hapened is that they seems to coat too well.  When installed on the
>  car  a 65  Monza  110  4 speed  with a CHT gugage,  they seem to cool very
> well, my temp stays wasy down below  250.   But if I get up to speed, say 70
> and hold it there, my temp climbs way  up.  What  I have deduced is that the
> logs now do not radiate enough  heat to cause the bellows to open, whaich
> accounts for the temp climb.   As the heat gets bvery high the bellows open, the temp
> drops and the bellows  close then causing the temp to climb again.
>

> What happens when you remove the lower shrouds entirely? Have you tried  that?
>
> Scotty from Hollyweird
>

> **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
> Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
> (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

I have coated manifolds, an engine that I have temperature issues with,
and the last thing I tried last August (I live in Arlington, Texas), was
to remove the shrouds. It started taking 10-15 minutes to warm the
engine up to decent operating temperatures. That can not be a good thing
for any engine. I parked my car last summer rather than operate it that
way. I had Corvairs in Houston Texas for years during the 70's and early
eighties. One thing that was never a real issue was overheating. We ran
them hard, but as long as everything was functioning correctly, rarely
had issues with high temperatures.  We had a 65 sedan, 110 hp/pg/AC. We
called that the "link trainer", because my entire family learned to
drive in that car (it's also ironic that I have worked for Link Flight
Simulation for the past 20+ years). Then a multitude of 140 hp coupes,
which were simply flogged around town. Only time we ever had problems
was when a belt would separate. We drove those cars all year round.
Maybe that's wishful thinking balanced by a couple of decades of
waterpumper usage, but that's how I remember it.

I am very interested in this thread, because it would seem that Bob has
hit the nail on the head, where all I have been doing is hitting my
thumb. I will be interested in the results when he switches out his
manifolds.