<VV> half shafts on reinstall

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 18:00:39 EDT 2008

Took my 69 in to a friend who knows Vairs quite well, we pulled the engine in hour, replaced the torque converter and flex plate in 15 minutes and reinserted the engine in another hour. I am blown away at how easy the drive train can be pulled for service. I am having a blast working on it too. My mentor / mechanic is 82 and I am 35 and he leads the way and I learn, learn, learn. He had this awesome lift and it makes working on a 'Vair so much fun and easier.
We ran into a small hiccup on reinstall and had to stop for the day, and I am not sure what to do. And my mentor I believe is more familar with early's than lates.

Should we put the half shafts in first then connect the stabilizer arms, or the other way around? we have the stabilizers hook in already, and attempted to install the half shafts, but it was kind of odd, the half shafts seemed to short. Obviously they are not, so we think the stabilizers shoud be loose first then half shafts. I'm just looking for a little advice and direction. I plan to head back to his shop on Friday to complete install.

chris mann
0242 69 monza vert (car services)
1657 69 monza cpe (car awaiting servicing)