<VV> Another MPG

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 19:25:17 EDT 2008

"...I feel like I've got things tuned pretty well. But, I'm still going to
try dropping the carb jets from 50s to 49s, and will also try lowering the
float  level another 32nd. Presently, the float levels are 3/32 lower than stock.
Lowering the floats from stock has taken the A/F ratio, as measured in each
exhaust bank, from about 13:1 to about 14.4:1 at cruse. In cooler weather,
with  the air being denser, the ratio was higher (around 14.7:1), so I'm  going
to try getting a little leaner. Having a Safeguard knock sensor system,  and
cabin-monitored wide band O2 sensors, lets me feel a bit more  comfortable
running things close to the edge. I'll report back.

Said I'd report and here it is:

Left the floats as is: 3/32 lower than stock, and dropped to #49 jets. AFR
now upper 14s to low 15s, and getting a solid 18+ MPG around town with A/C  on
about 50% of the time. Haven't been on a trip since the change, but last trip
gave 25 MPG @ 60 to 70 MPH. Expect I'd do a bit better, now. Safeguard
monitor still not squawking, much; timing set at 18. Contemplating my next  move.
If I lower the floats more, I'll need to file (lower) the slot that lets  fuel
into the accelerator pump reservoir. Realistically, short of fuel  injection,
I may be near the limits of efficiency.
Mike Mauro
67 110 Coupe, .032 quench, Factory Air, PG, 3:27 Diff, High Stall  Torque
Converter, Allison-Crane Ignition &  Safeguard