<VV> Economics - Regular Gas and Fuel Economy / Thermal

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 23:04:57 EST 2008

Well, yeah, Matt for highest economy, higher engine temperatures help
(I'm sure you are familiar with this on gas turbines as well... same
deal.)  -- that's were people start talking about totally insulated
"adiabatic" engines.  Those are always *diesels* though -- the bugaboo
with too-high head temperatures on a gasoline engine will be spark
knock. I think that is *especially* the case on an aircooled engine
which will probably have a wider temperature profile (less even
cooling) than a water cooled engine.  So, yeah, maybe a slightly
hotter engine will help fuel economy, but not if it makes the car more
knock happy and you need to retard spark timing or drop the
compression ratio to counter it.  I can't give you any better advice
than that.  I think lower hanging fruit can be had by tall skinny
tires and tall gearing...

best regards

Jim Burkhard