<VV> Using the Monza

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 13:18:37 EDT 2008

Stephen wrote:

Quick question.  I've gotten into a situation, long, long story,
where I really need to use the Corvair for transportation to work.
The carbs are still dripping at idle even though I have the pressure
regulator set at 1 lb.   If the car will run, is it safe engine wise
to run it to work and back (all city streets)?

Craig replies:
As others have said, you're probably OK to run it.  Getting back to your
issue (sorry, I haven't been paying close attention to the thread since you
have had lots of response) I think you have eliminated the possibility of
excessive fuel pressure and I think you have tried lowering the float, which
brings me to... Sometimes when the idle circuit isn't working OR one side of
the engine is weak, in order to get it to idle at all, people will crank the
idle speed screw open far enough that the cluster starts dripping. I call
this "idling on the main" (jet).

Is the compression and vacuum good on both sides of the motor? Are the idle
mixture screws responsive? Are the throttle speed screws about 1 1/2 turn
open from a fully shut throttle plate? Does each throttle plate have a
"mouse bite" next to the mixture screw tip?

I had a problem similar to this and after MUCH testing and swapping of
carburetors with the vendor, ultimately I found that the PO had installed
the camshaft two teeth off.  It looked like a carburetor problem but in the
end my problem turned out to be an engine problem. For whatever reason, even
though I had symptoms on only one bank, my issue was the camshaft timing.

I still vote for "Idling on the main".
Craig Nicol