<VV> Oil for our Corvairs

mark bashara marklaredo at msn.com
Mon Sep 17 10:31:28 EDT 2007

   I  have  read much about the deletion of a Zinc additive that was used
   in motor oils for years. From what I have read, they have taken it out
   because  it  causes problems with the newer cars cat. converters. Also
   newer  engines  apparently don't need the same protection as our older
   cars do.
   Anyway,  I  was buying GM's EOS (engine oil suppliment) but now GM has
   discontinued  it. What I have found is that Advance Auto carries a oil
   for  "High  mileage cars" and it does not have the dreaded "SM" rating
   which carries a much lower, if any, Zinc additive. This to date is the
   only  brand  I  could  find in my area that is "SL" rated and not "SM"
   From  what I have read, oils that still carry the "SL" rating have the
   Zinc  additive  that  is better protection for our older engines. Just
   thought I would pass this on.  Mark