<VV> Concerns about using the latest rated oil in pushrod engines

Paul Fox paulvair at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 12:28:33 EDT 2007

Group,
         Good article. I had read similar things elsewhere with some concern.
          I'm really getting worried about oils for our Corvairs. I have seen a rash of failed cams since SM oils were introduced.Of course a bad cam in a Corvair is a lot of work to repair. As a mechanic I hate the warranty issues involved.
          Before this oil problem I have been building engines for 30 plus years with little or no trouble with valve trains,even in racing applications.
          It looks as though we can't go to just any store and buy the correct oil for our cars any more. In fact I just acquired 3 cases of SL oil from a friend who thought it was out dated. Our options are getting limited. Some diesel oils will work and the expensive synthetics are good bets but most dino oils are not good for our engines. With the exception of racing oils which are also expensive.
         Anyone else have some knowlage in this area? It would be a big help.
                     Paul Fox