<VV> Shrouds done...and now the brake gremlin appears

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 00:26:07 EST 2007

Well, I got the shrouds installed by putting them on first and then
using a clothes hanger strategically bent to pull the thermostat arm
forward and place it in the slot.  Once I figured out the method
(twenty minutes on the right side) I got the left side on in five.
Everything is warming up nicely now, with the temps on the heads
stabilizing at around 250-260 and the oil topping out at about
240-250.  The vent doors are opening appropriately, and I will soon
be ordering the bushings in order to do the shroud door mod described
in the Communique.

The car is now tending to lock up on the left rear wheel when the
brakes are applied.  It only locks completely when I emergency stop.
During "normal" breaking, the car tilts down on the driver's side
about 3/4" and I can hear what sounds like a shoe releasing sound
from the left rear wheel.  I've tried putting it in reverse to reset
the adjusters. I won't be able to take the wheel off until tomorrow.
I'm thinking that it should be ok to drive on the city streets (no
more than 40 mph) tomorrow.  The breaks have had a COMPLETE overhaul
(except the lines, but no salt ever on this car) which included
cylinders (complete), hoses, springs (complete), shoes, turned drums,
and a dual master cylinder less than 1000 miles ago.  Thoughts?

P.S. Thanks to all who responded to the shroud issue and the security
issue.  You're the best!

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110 PG  - Sierra Tan, Saddle, A/
C, AM/FM