<VV> Not a Corvair Anymore -OPINION

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 6 10:48:38 EDT 2007

JR,

Let's review...

	I stated that "I would venture that the general public who have
never been exposed to a Corvair before, when given a  choice between
the early and the late, would in overwhelming numbers  choose the
late as the more timeless body style".   I never said anything about
being "memorable" nor did I state that I was referring to " those who
DO know what a Corvair is".  Quite the contrary, I stated, as
referenced above, "the general public".
	I would argue that looking at pure numbers of cars produced as a
sign of their ascetic desirability, which was the object of my post,
is a red herring in the case of the Corvair, due to the market forces
that proved its undoing during the "late" years which had nothing to
do with styling issues and I would conjecture probably actually
softened the line's ultimate demise.
	As far as the fact that most people would ask "Is it a Spyder" that
is easily explained as a marketing failure by Chevrolet.  It's akin
to changing the name of "Tony the Tiger" to "Thomas the Tiger".   The
public had come to identify the turbo charged version of the Corvair
as a "Spyder" and the popularity with enthusiasts as well as the
general public was well ingrained under that mark.  The changing of
the name for the turbo charged version, and to a stupid one at that,
led to confusion in the minds of the general public that lasts to
this day.  	You also state, "Time has moved on and I'm not really
sure what the definition is for 'timeless'.   The meaning is, " not
affected by the passage of time or changes in fashion".  I think the
fact that so often I hear that Corvair owners are complimented on
their cars when driven in public indicates a perceived timeless
nature of the style of the car.
	Lastly, I said, "No one can argue that the early model is remotely
as TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED as the late model (for their day); unless
of course they are emotionally attached to the early for whatever
reason which then nullifies any LOGICAL argument."  This is the only
logic part of my statement.  All references to the style of the car
were clearly stated as opinion.  You state in so many words that my
opinions on the body style debate are just that when you write,
"Where is your data on folks who were not previously familiar with
Corvair who were asked which is more timeless?  When you start a
sentence with "I would venture....", that tells me that logic has
left and opinion (however formed) has taken over.  Indeed, you put
opinion in the subject line"  but, of course, the body style
preference is OPINION.  But if you would like to see how the two
would compare in side by side comparisons with the general public
that is NOT familiar with the line (the only objective way to do it),
that can be done, too.

	I, too, wish not to create any animosity, but I thought I needed to
reply to some misconceptions.

Stephen

Final OPINION (admittedly biased, until proven in a side by side
test) : the hardtop is the best looking version of all the Corvair
line (especially with all of the windows down).