<VV> EOS Oil Additive

Phil Fairman hoscale at paonline.com
Tue Mar 27 15:52:07 EST 2007

Recent post:

snip>
Some of the best advise I've heard is to add some of GM's EOS or the
4-Cylinder STP products to every oil change, regardless of the oil you
are using.

This was in a recent post regarding the engine oil thread recently........I have been using Mobil-1 10W-30 in my '66 110 fo the last 4-5 years and, with all the discussion and controversy about lubrication of the cam & lifters, I found this interesting. Wanting my 20K original engine to last as long as possible, I began using synthetic to (1) provide the best cleaning & lubrication, and (2) lower oil temperatures. I have converted to a 12-plate oil cooler with proper shrouding and use a Clark's oil pan(w/lowered pickup). The heads have been de-flashed and I have had no lifter noise or any heat-related issues. I purchased a container of E.O.S. from the local GM dealer and found that is an assembly lubricant for bearings, cams & lifters...the last instructions on the label state:
"GM RECCOMENDS E.O.S. ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT ONLY FOR THE SPECIFIC PURPOSES LISTED ABOVE. GM DOES NOT RECCOMEND THE USE OF THIS OR ANY PRODUCT AS AN ADDITIVE TO ENGINE OIL"

All this being a given, why wouldn't the E.O.S. work as an additive? After all, it's designed to provide proper protection during break-in, why would'nt it keep protecting or at least add some protection to the same areas, like flat tappets & cam surfaces when used as an additive? I planned to add about half, or 8 oz of the E.O.S. when I change the oil. I find it difficult to believe that Mobil-1 by it's self does not provide superior protection, but times & things change....is adding the E.O.S. a good idea or is it not necessary?

There seems to be some well-informed folks in the oil field on this forum, I'd like some opinions on this...

Thanks
Phil Fairman
'66 Monza 110/pg