<VV> Replacing rusty floors in convertibles

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Mar 27 13:08:29 EST 2007

At 05:28 PM 3/26/2007, TTuttlelandscape at aol.com wrote:
>I am getting back into corvairs,  why I don't know, but I am going to
>restore several spyders and corsa convertibles for my kids. I have
>bought  several
>on ebay and started complete restorations.
>
>The first challenge I have run across is the floor boards. Clarks does not
>sell complete floor boards, there are missing sections between supports and
>under the rear seats. Does anyone sell the complete floorboard or do
>you have to
>  fabricate the missing section with a metal bender? or do most people buy a
>rust  free 2 door hardtop and cannibalize it? or do you have any other ideas

It's always been my experience that the rust-free car is the one you
would restore, NOT parting it to save something that's rusty.

Floors?    If you wanna get serious enough to start replacing floor
panels, you should be serious enough to buy about 20 bucks worth of
sheet metal hammers and dollies and shape your own floor panels for
those places that nobody else makes parts for, and no, there's nobody
reproducing the whole pan.   There *are* partial panels available
though, and it's really not that hard to hammer out custom
replacement panels to repair the areas for which nobody makes
reproductions.

tony..