<VV> From clutch to worse.. (1964 Sydper Turbo)

Kerry and jan B deaconone at teleweb.net
Fri Jun 15 19:16:52 EDT 2007

HI,

Well the car is back together but not without new issues.

Both seem potentially bad..

First and worst, the car seems to overheat, fast!  On a hot day like
today (85 degrees) with a half to a mile or so the temp gauge was
reading all the way up! Car used to run around 350 - 400) I rechecked
everything I could think of.  I checked to wire to the sensor to be sure
it wasn't pinched somewhere. (it wasn't) Checked belt tension. vent
doors etc. I removed the shroud on the drivers side where the sensor is,
same thing.  I checked intake for loose mounting, (thinking it might be
running lean) all ok.

Funny thing is that I don't get any of the usual signs of over heating,
no spark knock and no run on when turing off.  The engine  doesn't SEEM
all that hot. Though that's a subjective assumption with no data to
support it. Could the sensor have failed?? IS there a way to verify that
the engine is running hot?? Do sensors fail that way?

Second issue is that I can't seem to  get the clutch adjusted right. It
seems to take hold too close to the floor, and at times seems to make
shifting hard, however there is almost NO play in the clutch pedal. What
am I doing wrong?

Lastly when the starter was out during the clutch replacement, I put a
new solenoid on it. Pretty straight forwards however now the starter
sounds like it's straining and seems much louder and in fact grinds from
time to time. Was there some adjustment that I am not aware of? I am
afraid of stripping teeth somewhere, it really sounds bad!

I am beginning to think there is  a little black cloud permanently
living over my head.

P.S Re: overheating, the only thing done to the engine itself was the
replacement of the top gasket (and blower bearing replaced), oil pan
gasket and bell housing seal and gasket. The front of the engine wasn't
touched (harmonic balancer, oil pump, etc). New engine oil was
installed  (amsol 10W30)

Please, ANY help appreciated!

Kerry