<VV> Re: 3800 motor (little tiny bit Vair)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 14:10:56 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/26/2007 7:36:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

However  the 3800 (really my favorite engine) has reached the end of its
design  life (particularly since it is an iron engine) and is now being
phased  out.

I had the good fortune to pick a conversation with one of the chief
powerplant engineers at GM during the SEMA show a few years ago. I complained  about
them discontinuing the DOHC Olds V6 "Shortstar" motor. He compared it to  the
3800 motor, then used in transverse applications in the same cars as the  Olds.
He told me it cost GM several hundreds of dollars more to build  the Olds
than the 3800. Money which buyers seemed unlikely to pay. He  said the real
reason for the discontinuation was the inability of the motor to  accept variable
valve timing via the camshaft controllers. The  replacement/redesigned
Northstar V8 had just been released with that feature,  necessary to meet the
performance and mileage specs. I am reasonably sure that  is the reason that the 3800
motor will finally be put to rest. For the  single-cam V8 motors, cylinder
deactivation will be the only solution, at least  for now. AS far as the Corvair,
an updated controller and FI system could  probably do the same for the Vair.
It will likely remain a challenge. Can you  imagine the hub-bub on Virtual
Vairs when someone announces he has done this and  the car gets XX percent
better mileage. If you think electric fans get  scrutinized!!! - Seth