<VV> RE: three biggest improvements (back on topic)

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 17:40:23 EDT 2007

Craig's rebuttal:
I'd say that in light of a better solution, the original designs sometimes
look pretty weak, for example:

Quick steering arms - original steering ratio was compromised to "keep
people out of trouble" during oversteer. This is corrected to "normal" with
quick steering arms

Halogen headlights: For years all we did was complain about lousy headlights
and wish for the lighting available in Europe.  Perhaps you're too young to
remember "overdriving" the headlights at 65 mph.

Shifter tube: I've never encountered an intact late-model shifter tube.
That's clearly a defect.  We were rebuilding them in the early 70's when a
'66 was only 5 years old.

Shifter ball - well, this one is a matter of taste

Relocate seat - a problem for 6ft drivers since there were 6ft+ drivers.
It's really bad in '67,8,9 models that have 4" less space between the wheel
and the driver.

Replace pittman bushing - if you upgrade to nylon/delrin the problem's fixed
forever. Otherwise we just keep putting in parts that fail after a bit of
use.

Reproduction fan belt: No biggie no that we have them.  When there was NO
suitable belt...

14 or 15" wheels: Original size 13" tires are mighty scarce these days.
Wouldn't be an issue if there was a wide selection of 13" tires around.
Perhaps wheel rings so a 13" cap would work on a 14/15" wheel.

And don't forget the quick shift kit (mostly an EM problem). Reduces the 8"
pattern to a 4" pattern. The big pattern was an unintended result from
"green" 4-speed floor-shift designers.
Craig

<curt's comment> even though i have to agree on replacement of those items
they arent defective parts of the corvair they are just as i would say
upgrades to already good parts, well all ecept the vitons which i think the
concenses has already agreed those are number one .  curt