<VV> Ignition/carb update

Devin hotrod64chevy at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 10 00:38:00 EDT 2006

This afternoon, after closing our store my wife came home with a fresh set of points(yes, we do keep them in stock) and I spent some time on it.  Closed up the gap on the points as far as .010, opened it as far as .019, all with no significant change.  Dwell was still reading in the 45 degree range.  Was trying to teach her the ins and outs of points at the same time.  Getting frustrated. She came indoors and did some searching on the net, and what do you know, I had the meter hooked up wrong.  Been years since I had a car with points.  Who knows what they were reading before I started screwing with them.  For now, with new points, they are at 34 degrees.  Will start it cold and take it for a spin tomorrow.  We'll see what happens, and I'll pass on what I find.  Checked and reset the timing, but was not sure of the reading.  It tends to bounce around, as much as 6-8 degrees.  I have a feeling that is not good.  I would suspect a timing chain if it were a V8.

Devin