<VV> Collector car insurance

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed Nov 29 09:56:03 EST 2006

A few years ago DACC had a Haggerty Insurance rep come to our meeting and
try to convince us to insure our cars with them.  So, later I gave them a
call and tried to insure my 1962 Monza sedan.
In talking with the sales rep, she asked how valuable my car was.  I said
about $2,500.  It was not restored and just a "driver" quality car.  She
asked where I stored it.  I said out in the driveway under a car cover.  I
explained that my two-car attached garage was where I work on my projects
and once finished they sit outside for lack of space.  She then said it
sounded like my car was a daily driver and they weren't interested in
insuring it.  So if you want to have your Corvair insured as a
classic/collector car, you better tell them it worth at least $10,000 and
stored all the time in a secure dry theft proof garage!  I insure my
Corvairs thru State Farm as daily drivers and have no collision coverage.
If I wreck it, I'll junk it and buy another "beater".  Insurance costs about
$400 a year and I can use the car however I want.
Clark Hartzel