<VV> Selecting an oil

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon May 29 03:07:27 EDT 2006

> That's not all.    It took little to no time at all in order for the
> stuff to revert to its "lowest" viscosity, looked like water draining
> out of the pan when I changed it because the oil pressure in the
> engine dropped from 70 lbs hot (with Kendall GT-1 10-40) to around 40
> lbs hot with the Castrol 20-50 "race" oil.   It was terrible stuff and
> I didn't trust it in the engine at all.    I gave it a fair chance;
> next time I changed oil (Kendall again) I tried it again, same
> results, looked like water and pressure dropped around 30 lbs.   I
> never used it again.    I'd had people (mostly smallblock Chevy
> owners) swear that it was the best oil around.   Not sure where they
> got the idea unless they were parroting what they'd been told by some
> guru or something, because the stuff was plain untrustworthy.

> I'm sure it got changed/improved later on down the line but in the
> mid-70s the stuff was flaky.   Disappointing.

Wow... I've never heard such stories about Castrol. Up until the advent
of synthetics, I ran Castrol 20W-50 in everything I owned (British,
Corvairs, other American , etc) that needed a heavy oil. While it would
indeed thin badly after being overheated (or heated for a long period of
time, like track use), it held up better than any other multiple
viscosity oil I had used. (I had never tried Kendall). This is still the
only Dino oil I use and is still the #1 recommended oil by most European
car owners.

Now I _am_ a bit younger than you guys... I didn't start using it until
the early 80's... and was not "abusing" it until the late 80's.... so
possibly the formulation was different?

Bill