<VV> Tires - It happened once!

IndoorPS.Will will at indoorps.com
Mon Mar 27 22:48:11 EST 2006

I grew up in a Goodyear store in the 50s-60s.

Picture this:
You buy 4 new tubeless tires...the tires are installed...you go home real
happy...you go to your car tomorrow morning and all 4 tires are totally
flat...you are not very unhappy. This happened in my Dad's tire store...he
had a SFCS [Special Field Counseling Session] with the serviceman, too!

The Cause?
The tires were crooked on the rim when the air-up started and the beads did
not seat until a HUGE air pressure was finally reached. BAM!...the bead
seated and broke the bead wires which let the tires leak. Chunks of wheels
have even been broken off by that kind of seating.

I've seen lots of tire guys seat beads that way and always wonder what the
customer experienced the next morning. It seems like tire guys get their
mocho on by seeing who can make the loudest BAM!

Be sure to lube the beads before mounting...we used Ivory Flakes soap in
water because it was cheaper than RubberLube from SylGlyed [sp].

Will Smith, "The Fresh Prince of Corvair"
Wanted: nice, rust free 66 Monza vert, pg, 110, for parade duty and taking
kids for a ride in something they've probably never seen [thinking of
turning the rides into a revenue raiser for the Boys Club...I figure a ride
should be worth 50 cents to a dollar...even more maybe to see the engine and
the trunk; plan to buy 4qtr 06.