<VV> Corvair Hospitality

C. Raia c_raia at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 11:27:35 EDT 2006

This weekend a big caravan of folks from the Bay State
Corvair club traveled from Massachusetts to Long
Island to attend the Old Westbury Gardens show on
Sunday.  The Corvair was the featured car at the show
this year, and we all wanted to produce a great
turnout of cars.  For most of the Bay Staters the trip
involved a very early morning start, a long drive
through pouring rain to catch the Cross Sound Ferry in
New London CT, then another two hours of rainy driving
to western Long Island.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the Long Island
Corvair Association members, who had a wonderful
welcome party for us.  They had the sad chore, though,
of informing us that the Old Westbury Garden
management had decided to postpone the show to next
weekend.  Even though the rain was predicted to stop,
they were afraid the grounds would be too soggy to
support hundreds of cars.  Needless to say we were all
dismayed and disappointed.

But the incredible hospitality of the LICA folks
quickly changed the atmosphere to one of great fun and
cameraderie.  They served us wonderful food, including
5-foot hero sandwiches and terrific apple pie, and it
was great getting a chance to meet other enthusiasts.
When the rain slowed to a drizzle we got a chance to
admire each other's cars.  They teased us about Boston
accents ("cah show") and we teased them about New York
accents ("have a cup of cohahfee").  They awarded
Corvair drivers prizes, and one of their members who's
active in AACA even made a special trip to bring us
show t-shirts, with a picture of an early Corvair, to
purchase.  It was an incredible reception and really
made the difference in turning frustration to fun.
While most of us won't be able to make the
re-scheduled show, we hope to see the LICA members at
upcoming events like the Buffalo convention and the
Clark's show in western MA in September.

Here's a big "thank you" to the Long Island chapter
for making us feel so welcome!

Celia Raia