<VV> Convention Room

Harry Jensen, CORSA Executive Secretary corsa at corvair.org
Fri Jul 21 11:44:54 EDT 2006

Hiya--

Well, Ned, let's talk.

I negotiate the contracts with the hotels. We sign contracts which say that
CORSA is going to use XX number of room nights. Usually it is in excess of
1000.

The contact stipulates that CORSA actually uses the rooms it books because
the meeting rooms used for meetings, tech sessions, and hospitality are
given to the convention at no charge.

If the number of rooms actually used falls below a number based upon the
number of rooms we booked, we are charged for the meeting rooms, the room
nights or, in some cases, both.

The attrition rate usually starts at 90% which means that if we book 1000
room nights and our total number of room night used falls below 900, CORSA
is paying **big** time. I negotiate the attrition rate as low as possible,
so hopefully it does not impact us.

As JR observed, the hotel will not charge you for a room night, if you
cancel before a certain time. That does not mean CORSA is absolved of
liability for that those room nights. We're sort of caught in the switches.

I suspect there may be a time in the future that hotels will require a
deposit which will not be refunded. If the hotel is taking the reservation
and taking the cancelation, I see no reason that CORSA should be the ones
accepting the liability for cancelations. But that is the way it is now.

Also worth noting: I do not set CORSA policy; the elected CORSA Board does.
This will be discussed at the Board meeting next week.

--H