<VV> RE: Tire aging

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Aug 15 15:30:54 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/15/2006 12:06:53 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
mopar at jbcs2.net writes:

I always  give my cars the once over during spring prep, and I do check for
dry rot,  cracking, or wear.
Mayve I'm just lucky, never had one blow, but there is a  push out there to
make tire age a part of vehicle inspection with a time  they will expire no
matter how they are worn........

Gary  Swiatowy

Gary,
The aging problem mostly causes the tread rubber to harden. This in not a
visible characteristic easily checked. The hardening of the tread means a loss
of traction. You won't notice this under normal driving conditions. But just
wait until it rains and you have a panic stop. Even a normal panic stop.....
The  hardening of the tread rubber will also increase the normal stopping
distances  putting the driver in jeopardy........
Regards,
Bob Helt