<VV> Anyone running Clark's Hi-Tech Hypereutectic

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 4 23:06:58 EDT 2006

Hi Daniel,

Actually, you set both piston/cylinder clearance and ring end gap according
to the piston manufacturer specification.  Cast pistons in general can run a
tighter tolerance because they don't expand as much.  Apparently, the KB
pistons run hotter on the top ring due to how they are manufactered.  I
don't have a KB piston that I can look at so I don't know, maybe the top
ring groove is closer to the top of the piston.  I doubt it is due to the
Hyper material alone since other manufacturers are running tighter ring gaps
on Hyper material.  I've never heard of the ring gap being set according to
the ring material.

Talk to you later,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Daniel Monasterio said:

 > I have not used Hyperecteutic pistons but, the postings on rings end gap
make me wander about. I think that gap ends are  set  according with the
rings material and cylinders no matter which pistons are used. So, in order
to set the end gap I always go by the manufacturer's (of the rings)
specifications If talking about piston-cylinder gap then, it is mandatory to
set this gap according to the piston alloy or type.

 Please, correct me if wrong. >