<VV> PG

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Apr 28 08:39:15 EDT 2006

>2500 RPM straight and level equals 50 MPH; flooring it results in 2900 RPM.
>2700 = 55; flooring it resulted in 3100 RPM.

Exactly what I wanted. Is pretty tight but apparently still get some
multiplication (more slip) at WOT - looks like about 7% (effective ratio
1.07) so not a whole lot but some. This plus Brent's long writeup is really
informative. Suspect your tach may be reading a little low but it was the
difference I was interested in.

More recent cars are a lot different, my 88 3800 flashes to 2600 rpm, 1000
higher than the 'vair but then the 88 has a lock up torque converter so it
does not hurt MPG or generate a lot of heat when cruising (slip=heat). Just
different design constraints.

Does mean that you give up an effective passing gear with the two speed
since not getting much multiplication after it shifts, the torque of a V-8
allowed chevvy to move the gear a bit lower but a real passing gear will be
around 1.2:1. However the reason is simple: a three speed would be longer,
heavier, and cost more. Add to the fact that little engineering was done
after1964 and the result was inevitable. Just too bad that the switch-pitch
was never an option.

Padgett