<VV> Early tires

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 22:52:16 EDT 2005

Bruce Schug wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow your reasoning exactly. The discussion wasn't
> about maintaining ride height or anything else. It was about tire sizes.

Frequently, when the "non-stock" crowd is talking about what tire sizes
they use, they rarely mention the ride height at the same time -- and if
you don't think ride height is an important factor in choosing tires for
45 year old cars, well, what can I say? We must disagree.

>   a typical, properly sized and manufactured 185/80-13 tire is very
> close to the diameter of an original

 And just how is a lay person supposed to recognize the average
non-typical tire?  Most of us do not carry dial calipers that measure in
more than a six inch increment.  [My wife, incidentally, does -- she has
a calibrated measuring device to measure the height of Nigerian Dwarf
goats, to compare to the breed standard when she judges them at shows
(you know, fairs and such).]

I'm sure that if folks could recognize "properly manufactured" tires (or
properly designed vehicles), the Ford Explorer incidents might not have
occurred (and where was Ralphie for that one, I'd like to know -- people
actually died as a direct result).

Bill