<VV> Speaking of re-threading the needle...

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sat Mar 5 17:43:50 EST 2005

Stevie G,
I've got both going on right now with 2 of my 'vairs... the 59K mile Green 64
700 sedan is bone stock still with points, runs like a cat with a tail full
of turpentine... I figure its working fine right now, so I won't change it
over... I guess the first time it DOES give me problems I might stick another set
of points in it, or I could use that spare Pertronix I've had for a few
years... I've had the car for almost a year and a half, put 10K miles on it, and it
runs great.

My 61 'brier has the Pertronix 1 in it, and the whole powertrain is out of a
69 car.... it ran great until the #1 cylinder started fouling out... starting
was easier once I installed the stuff in the van, but with all honesty the
distributor that I removed from it was a bit wore out.

I had used this same distributor (w/pertronix) in a 65 Monza for 5 years
before that... that car showed the most improvement with the use of the set up
(easier startup and smoother idle at cold), but I used the stock coil on all
applications... I also tapped into the coil (+) wire AHEAD of the resistor wire,
and did NOT attach the red wire at the coil (+), as so many are apt to do... I
did this in response to several oldtimers on the list here (and I've been here
for 10 years!)... I've not had a problem yet.

I hope this helps.
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg,
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg