<VV> Re: That CORSA display & "Corvair Basics"

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Mar 1 12:52:14 EST 2005

Bob---we aren't comparing apples with apples

For those who don't know---Bob and I are credited with co-founding the
Basics Manual. Larry Claypool was brought in at the beginning as well as
Tech Editor. When the project became overwhelming for 3 guys who had to work
for a living, Bob Helt came in and took over the final editing, and photos.
M&P (aka Harry and Mike at the CORSA office) did the printing.

 Bob Helt had the previous book writing experience and even more
importantly, the time to get the project finished. Until Bob Helt came in, I
was the overall project manager, but I would never have taken that position
and gotten the thing moving without Bob Marlow and lclc, both of whom became
dear friends in the process.

Bob knows I won't argue or get fresh with him, but I do reserve the right to
disagree.

I NEVER said that the the Corvair Basics book was a recruitment tool. It
really more came about to sell to folks who had already made the committment
to buy a car.

For those not around at the time, back in the late 90's we had dozens of
what was classfied "Newbie" questions asked on V V , over and over and over
and over........ The objective of the book was to answer the questions in an
organized form, and to have something to offer the newbie, or the guy who
might be interested in getting into our hobby---HERE---The answers to most
all of your questions, including how to look for a good Corvair to buy, for
20.00....

If you are interested in buying an orphan car such as ours is, a 20.00
expenditure to get the basics isn't so bad.  Better than saying --join
CORSA, get the Assembly and Shop Manuals, and the CORSA Tech guides,  and
now you are in over 100.00, and you don't even know if you want to go any
further.

I  DID Say that Virtual Vairs has been a good recruiting tool for CORSA.  If
it wasn't, we would STILL be sending Bryan money for our portion of the cost
of server maintenance.  I trust that Harry and the Board had some numbers
that opened the CORSA wallet, after waiting for the moths to fly out <G>,
and come up with fundage for what originally was the V V server expense. I
admit that I don't have those numbers, but since the Board opened the
wallet, they must have been satisfied, and that is good enough for me.

And whether the sales of the Basics Manual to current members of CORSA put
the book in the black,  I must be frank,  I DON'T CARE----THE PROJECT PAID
FOR ITSELF---it is not the rambling white elephant that the CORSA Canopy has
been since day one, and likely will always be.  I won't hang by my toes
waiting for the CORSA canopy to EVER pay for itself.  It will be a pile of
rotten junk before it shows any payment for itself.

> Bob now replies:

the director whose "pet project" this was
> (and Hank and I both know of whom we are speaking here) was recommending
> that this display be used not at CORSA events, but at outside,
> general-interest old-car events such as Hershey, the Charlotte Autofair,
> the Pomona swap meet, etc.  Secondarily, it was to be used at Corvair
> events that were geared to the general public, such as mall shows.

Bob, I didn't leave this out intentionally, but as history has proven, The
Autofair gets along well with a simple folding table with brochures that
CORSA has printed, along with displays of photo albums, etc.  Mall shows get
along well with several tables of the same type of displays that can be
rented locally for 3 bucks a day from your local party supplier. Sorry but I
won't be persuaded that (I was told but am not positive of the figure) 3
Thousand Dollars was necessary for the procurement of this thing.

> But we in the Corvair community are very insular, and we don't seek out
> new members, we wait for them to find us.  This is where the CORSA display
> canopy fell flat.  We failed and are still failing collectively and as
> individuals to take responsibility for the display canopy and get out
> there and work on behalf of CORSA at general-interest old-car events such
> as Hershey, the Charlotte Autofair, the Pomona swap meet, etc.
>
> The director whose "pet project" this was thought that it was vital that
> CORSA stop gazing at its bellybutton and start raising awareness of the
> Corvair hobby.  You can argue whether or not the display canopy was the
> right tool for the job, but the job needed to be done and still needs to
> be done.  On this point that director was very nearly a lone voice in the
> wilderness.

Bob I won't disagree with you here. We have people who go to Hershey,
Ponoma, etc. But they aren't going to spend their time manning a booth to
Promote CORSA.  Can I blame them??  Don't think so.  Was this director's
idea correct?  Sure it was.  But to promote his own Idea, which had already
fallen flat, and then tout his fiduciary duty not to give us the funding for
a book that history has proven was at least successful to pay for itself in
6 months was hypocrisy at worst, and poor judgement (IMO) at the least.
That's the part that still bothers me.

> Anecdotally, in my local chapter obtained and used the CORSA display
> canopy very effectively at a Saturday night speedway.

Well Bob, at least SOMEONE used it for something. Before shipping it beats
it into splinters and junk, it should get used some.

Hank