<VV> rebodied corvairs

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 13:29:01 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/28/2005 4:15:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cytis at charter.net writes:

I  recently read where Boyd Coddington was fined around $3000 and had to
complete  a number of hours of community service for using "shoebox car" titles on
some  of his creations.
Larry

One of the problems Boyd ran into was "valuing" the original cars as a  "1932
Ford" when there were no original parts on it. California considers it a
newly constructed vehicle and taxes it on that value, not on the value of an old
car. There are several rules in California about Identifying a vehicle
depending on the source of the parts - the majority of the parts, and what the  car
is built to resemble. For goofs like you and I, and our one-time Corvair
fix, it is probably not an issue, especially if you own both cars and are
essentially, sacrificing one to rebuild the other. Boyd is big time and quite
visible, to say the least. At that level ($$$$$) he should have had someone
watching out for legality! - Seth Emerson