<VV> Fuel pumps, stock vs. electric - what is better?

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Thu Jun 9 19:50:49 EDT 2005

This does bring up a point ... who drives a 40 year old car because it is
"better" -- if I wanted to make changes to my vair to make it better I
would put on disc brakes, modern seats, A/C, top notch stereo, air bags,
modern seat belts, ABS brakes and stability control, more crash protection,
fuel injection .... oh!  If I do all that, why not buy a new car which by
the above standard is "better" and comes with all that?  You would have
more success and probably save money :-) !

I drive a Corvair because I like the old-tech, the sounds, the feel, the
smell, the ride, and so forth.  That cannot be duplicated on a modern
car!  So as part of the experience I have to deal with cranky mechanical
pumps, but at least I don't have to listen to a modern electric pump which
sounds totally out of place.  Meaning, for my use, the stock pump is better
-- even if it fails, dumps gas in the crank, leaks, etc.

At 04:16 PM 6/9/2005, Rick & Janet Norris wrote:

>>Why worry about which is better?  Use BOTH!  Turn on the electric pump with
>>a push button or toggle switch and fill up the carbs.  Start the engine and
>>turn off the electric pump.  Drive on the mechanical pump!
>
>Add a hand pump for just in case and a roof mounted tank for gravity feed!
>Oh, don't forget the collapsible gas can with solid fuel!
>
>>Works for me, Clark Hartzel
>
>The Lone Haranguer!

>Change your options:
>http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html