<VV> Electric Fuel Pump

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Thu Jun 9 02:44:00 EDT 2005

> From: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair at fnader.com>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Help for Vapor Lock
> To: "Tim Verthein" <minoxphotographer at yahoo.com>,

> >I too would be interested to know what problems an electric fuel
> pump will have making it worse than the mechanical?
----------------snip-------------
Smitty Says:        It would seem that anyone who has been on VV more
than 15 minutes would avoid this thread(including me) but Bill and Tim
really want to know.  gg    There are a couple of reasons why electrics
are disliked by some of us.  One:  That ain't the way it was built.  Two:
 It requires a modification in the fuel lines and in the end, is no more
reliable than the stock pump for the work involved.  Three:  They are
noisy.  Four:  With the engine not even running they can fill the
crankcase with gasoline or at the very least wash down the oil film on
the cyl walls. Five:  They have a fixed rate of output which is the same
at 700 rpm as it is a 7000 rpm, whereas a stock pump raises its rate as
engine speed increases..
        Reasons why they are liked;   One;  People who are not able to
troubleshoot a problem, like to mask the problem with an alternative.
Two:  Racers like them for the additional pressure they can make if they
aren't innovative enough to change the spring in a stock pump.  Three:
They can save a bit of work if the fuel pump cam is worn out.  (They
really aren't that hard to replace).  Four:  They can blow out a vapor
lock with them. (see number One).  Do they work?  Sure just as a hand
pump would work.  Glad I could help.