<VV> 65 Corsa

Don Schaefer fry_cook at excite.com
Mon Jul 4 09:11:06 EDT 2005

 I purchased a 65 turbo from a fellow in our MN club. It's been sitting for several years. Trailered it to my bro's house and tried to start it.Turned over just fine, but wouldn't fire. No spark. Went home.During the week my brother tracked down the wiring problem and patched it in.Called me during the week to let me know it started right up!The story from the PO is that gas was getting into the oil, had to clean the plugsevery hundred miles, so parked it. I bought a spare fuel pump just in case, but the old one pumps from a gas can to start the car.PO thought it was the valve seals gone bad.I spent Sat. tearing all the stuff off to get to the engine. Got a great shot of rats nest, see it if you come to Portland.The turbo appears to be stuck. Haven't had a chance to look at it seriously yet.I'm a newbie to Vairs and to any serious mechanical work. Got to learn sometime.My brother knows engines, but hasn't had any Corvair experience since they toreone apart in shop class. He
remembered the rats nest. Question- Is the valve seal assumption a realistic one?What else should I look into before I buy a bunch of parts?I ordered the manual(s), and have Corvair Basics, but not the tech guide or Bob's book yet.Portland is coming- I will spend. Any free advice welcome though. Thanks Don Schaeferfry_cook at excite.com