<VV> Conventional vs synthetic motor oils

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:43:48 -0600

My dad was buying Buicks in the mid '50s.  A '55 Century and a '57 Super.
He used Mobil One in both.  It was TRUE synthetic in those days.  I remember
the '55 leaving spots on the drive.  Not sure about the '57 - but probably
yes.  In '60 he started buying Pontiacs.  None of those left drips that I
can recall.  I don't know that it was the change of brands (of cars), I
doubt it since they were both GM.  I suspect that the pan gasket material
may have changed to accommodate the (somewhat) higher end buyers of GM cars
who wanted to use synthetic oil.  I don't know when Mobil 1 was first
available.  Would this have been the "early" years?

On the other hand, I got my driver license in late (Oct) 1958, so maybe that
'60 Bonneville convert (bucket seats) just was not spending much time in the
driveway!  I DO recall wearing out a set of butyl (sp?) rubber tires in
about 10,000 miles.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140