<VV> LM spring replacement

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:59:26 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2005 2:53:28 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Modelerdc@aol.com writes:

I am  planning of replacing the rear springs on my 65 Corsa. I have a pair of
low  milage springs off of a parts car. Are the rear springs the same left
and  right or are they handed? Any suggestions about the best way to do this
would  also be appreciated.

The left and rights are the same on the late models. It isn't easy to
replace them, but it is easier than on an early! Here is how I did it. I removed
the shock absorber with the car up in the air on jack stands. Leaving the tires
on the car and the emergency brake on tight! The suspension will droop, but
not enough for spring removal or replacement. Unless you are installing cut
springs for lowering, then they tend to fall out! <grin> I slid a 24" long
wooden two by four in at 90 degrees to the wheel, and held it up against the
wheelwell and the inner fender seam. I then lifted up my lightweight Harbor
freight aluminum floor jack and set it on the top of the tire, under the two by
four.  I then jacked the wheel down far enough so that I could remove the  old
spring and slide the new one in. The raising part of the jack was inboard of
the fenderwell enough to be stable, the bottom just pushed the tire down  far
enough to put the spring back in. Now - Don't do anything foolish here. The
tire must be rock solid so it won't turn, and the  two by four placed just
right to spread the upper load. The tire will swing forward a bit as it goes
down. Expect that. Also, make sure you don't over-extend the rear brake hoses.
But it works. And be careful!  - Seth

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer@aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette