<VV> More on LM rear wheel bearings

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 16 23:03:55 EST 2005

On my very first attempt at doing these things, and not having the proper
tools, I gave up and took them to a machine shop that I use to take them apart
for me.  He did get them apart using a press and a large puller.  What I
discovered when putting them back together (I had by now borrowed the proper
tools), was that the tool that screws onto the spindle would not go on because
the puller had caused the threaded portion of the spindle to swell from the
pressure that was exerted on it with the puller.  Naturally this will not
happen if the proper tools are used, since one of the tools screws down over
the threaded portion and is used to push the spindle out of the housing.  I
had to take it back and have it resized since I do not own a die of the size
needed to do this. My point is, if using a press or puller take precautions so
as not to swell the threaded portion of the spindle.  A possible way to do
this would be to put a couple of nuts on the threaded portion when using the
puller.  Best bet is to use the proper tools.  IMHO I still would recommend
anyone not having the proper tools to buy a rebuilt unit from one of our
vendors.  By the time you buy new bearings, a shim set, new seals, grease etc.
doing it yourself seems a whole lot less practical. Just my .02 cents worth.
I always seem to learn the hard way.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.