<VV> Non Driver was newbie

Keith Hammett khammett@stainlessfab.com
Mon Feb 7 20:35:47 EST 2005

Only a member for TWO years and never driven a Vair, that is nothing I have
been a member for 7 to 10 years now (can't remember when I joined) and still
have not driven my own vair.  I liked the vairs since I first saw them at
age 14 and had to have one.  I finally got my vair in boxes and have been
acquiring parts and money to start its restoration.  You can see it on
Norm's Web site, http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/hammett.htm , and
read more about it.

A couple of years ago, I went to an event put on by the NTCA at Lake Texoma
and drove a Rampside. Thanks again Guys!!! After doing that I just had to
have one (again thanks guys??).  The chance came up and I acquired not only
a rampside but another 65 vert.  The vert got stripped and the body was
picked up by Steve Mizzell (sp?), this completed the parts needed for the
vert (now just time and money).  The rampside is under surgery and should be
operable this summer, I hope.  I just finished the carb rebuild last night
while watching the Super Bowl.

Some might wonder why it has been so long in getting a running vair at my
house.  To answer this after I agreed to purchase the vert I had to work it
off (paid in labor), went to College and received my degree in Mechanical
Engineering from the University of Missouri-Rolla (drove an hour each way
daily for 3 years while working at night part time), have had two children
(one while in College, other born 6 months later) and just recently adopted
a third (all girls), renovated a 100 year old home (thank God its gone),
moved and blah, blah, blah....  Most importantly I have always looked at the
vairs as a hobby!  If I started working on them daily then it is no longer
fun.  I work when I feel like it and at my own pace.  Both are in the garage
so no need to worry about them rusting away, and you will have to pry the
keys away from my dead fingers.

I would join a local club but they are all 3 hours away.  I tried to get an
old group back together and got very little interest.

Keith Hammett
Willard (Springfield) Missouri
age 34
'65 Monza Convertible
'62 Rampside
'66 Monza Coupe (parts car waiting for dry ground to trade for rampy parts)
Member GroupRed, Corvanatics, and Corsa.
Father of 3 girls