<VV> brake springs

Paul Michalczyk paulm@tdl.com
Wed Feb 2 04:48:58 EST 2005

I'm rebuilding the brakes on my 65 Corsa convertible.  However, I hit an
interesting snag.  The brakes were last rebuilt professionally about 10 years
ago.  Upon inspection I have found that the brake springs, that is, the
springs which retract the brakes against the wheel cylinder actuating rods,
are different on each wheel. (So much for "professionals").  I have orange,
light green, silver, and pink.  No two are alike.  This is true for both
leading and trailing shoes. However, the color of the hold down and self
adjuster springs are consistent. My question is: what color springs do I want
for the brake shoe returns?  My local brake shop says they are readily
available and that the color indicates the tension each spring can exert, I
just need to let them know.  Thanks.