<VV> Extracting the inserts:

Joe West joew at diveaz.com
Sat Dec 10 15:07:59 EST 2005

Cliff,

Examine the material that came out with your spark plug... if it aluminum
(use a magnet if you need to) then you did not pull out any thread repair
insert.
I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you would have destroyed and pulled out part
of a helicoil (time-sert) when you removed a spark plug.

When you are ready to tap and install a time-sert, you'll find some
instructions at virtualcorvairclub.com using a search on helicoil.
I don't know if this is covered elsewhere... but when you tap the head
(assuming it is still on the engine) remember to thoroughly coat the tap
with a glob of grease to capture the chips of metal that are removed by the
tap... you certainly do not want those staying in the combustion chamber.

Again... I doubt you destroyed an insert... hopefully you kept the removed
plug with the material removed intact.

Joe West