<VV> My Radio Plan!

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 15:46:50 EDT 2005

Alrightee then....after lots of suggestions and input from this very
helpful group of folks, I've got the plan for my radio troubles to be
solved.

I removed the stock Am radio and it's housing from my '64.  That was a
piece o' cake.  I was glad to know that I can put a different radio in
without having to butcher the original housing.  I'm not exactly sure
why however, as this car will never go back to "stock" or "original",
as I tend to keep cars forever, and it's had to many other changes to
easily go back (Like the bright yellow paint).  I had already removed
the stock speaker as it was toast.  The coil in the speaker was
actually an open circuit, and the coil, cone, etc.. was all brittle and
trashed and it had already been repaired at least 3 times....based on
two different kinds of glue and tape that were on it!

Following the lead of a list member, I popped over to my local car
stereo shop and procured an "under-dash housing" into which a modern
DIN mount radio/cd player slides in.  This will easily mount right
under the dash where the stock housing went, and hook up will be so
easy compared to any modern car I've put a radio into! This mount was
like $15.00

I ordered one of the double speakers from Clarks. should fit in the
dash in the original speaker location but has two speakers in it to
account for stereo.  I'm leery of the quality of sound I'll get from
this, but it's so easy to do that I have to give it a try.  If it turns
out to be horrible I'm thinking of checking out the speaker mount/vent
frame devices....I *think* are from Corvair Underground (?!?!?) that
looked like a neat idea.  I've also given some consideration to putting
some sort of speakers in back,, since no one I know is small enough to
actually RIDE in the back seat anyway. (Well....OK..I could wedge Ryan
back there if I put my seat waaaaayyyyy up, then then I couldn't get
behind the wheel).  Lots of possibilities there.  My goal is to do this
CHEEP!  I have a swell AM/FM/CD player that i salvaged from my
daughters ancient Hyundai before we sold it a few years ago....I
Pioneer I think.

Supposedly UPS will bring my speaker tomorrow, so I'll get 'er all in
and let ya know how it goes.

The difference between me n Ryan....He's putting a engine
together....I'm putting in a radio. He spent the afternoon drilling out
rivets and bolting his flywheel.

Oh....and couple small additions to my Corvair section on my web
site..if you've never heard it or don't have it I have the song
"Corvair Baby" on the site for download, AND...Ryan found my
"Archeological Corvair Discovery" to be hysterical....I didn't think it
was *that* funny....but anyway...the links are at the bottom of my
Corvair page at:
http://www.edselmotors.com/corvairmain.html

Tim

"You can make the mountains sing....or make the angels cry"
===