<VV> RE: Feeding engines walnut shells

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Tue Apr 19 16:40:41 EDT 2005

Hey, did you know they clean jet turbine engines by throwing ground up
walnut hulls into the intakes ...... hmmmm

Maybe at the next corvairium, there could be a parking lot demonstration of
cleaning a vair turbo and upper cylinders by some innovative guy with a bag
of walnut hulls ... or better yet, in a mini convention in Iowa, some
crushed * CORN * cobs;;; maybe saturated with Bon Ami .....

>>>  SOME turbine engines maybe.  We're talking about assembled running
engines right?

Would blast some stuff off compressors maybe.  Might stick to any oil or
grease film and make things worse.  I don't think the combustor section (In
this case the engine sitting in between the turbocharger compressor and
turbine) won't like the stuff being dumped in it.  Probably end up with more
carbon in the combustion chambers and other badness happening.

Blast cleaning disassembled stuff with walnut shell or corn cob would be
less aggressive and "safer" than glass beads, very dusty though.  Maybe
plastic media?

Steve