<VV> RE: "must be an overhaul"

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:02:22 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2004 2:48:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
srmarti@netzero.net writes:

> Remanufactured nothing undersize or oversize.  So a remanufactured engine
> would not have a block bored and fitted for oversize pistons?  Crankshafts
> aren't ground undersize and bearings refitted?

> Overhauls. What's replaceable? Everything. Where do you stop? Cam yes?
> Crank
> no"  Cam drive system?  Rockers yes? Pushrods no?  Doesn't seem that simple.
> Do you grind valve seats and not check guides and stems? New valve springs?

> Every bolt is replaceable.  I don't know if that means every single fastener
> automatically gets replace with new during an overhaul.

/timing chain [ most cars]  OTHER parts were EXPECTED to last to at least 80k

NOTE:   replacing fasteners is fairly new in the automotive industry.....a
carryover from aircraft....and a way to SELL   more!!

"Overhauls" were commonly needed at 80-100k miles...and VALVES at 35-60k!
We've come a long way baby!!  gggg

Better oils and UNLEADED gasoline are to be thanked!   IMO

Matt Mall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V
Somewhere between Reno, Nv.  and Coos Bay, Or.