<VV> Installing Piston Rings

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Fri, 21 May 2004 17:16:50 -0400

I am somewhat confused as to the proper way to install a set of Grant piston
rings on the pistons.  The pistons are TRW Forged pistons, and have an arrow
embossed on the piston that  points to the front of the engine.  The picture
of the ring gap placement in the shop manual (Pg. 6-47 Fig 104) shows an
actual top view of the piston with A being the top of the piston (installed),
B being the piston pin location, with C, D & E showing the placement of the
gaps.  Does this imply that C (Oil ring spacer gap) is actually at the bottom
of the piston?  Is D or E actually facing the front of the engine and rear of
the engine, and if so which is which?  Also the instructions that come with
the Grant rings shows the bevel of the top compression ring toward the top of
the piston.  Since their instructions deal with pistons that I suppose could
have up to five rings, does the bevel on the second compression ring go down?
Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.